Thursday, August 6, 2015

Posted by Author On 9:03 AM

Chapter 2


After so much running, traveling the tiredness grasped me and made me sleep so long that even the drizzling weather which gave an awesome atmosphere that knocked me out for several hours, but my sleep’s bigger enemy “my alarm clock” woke me up without letting my sleep to fulfill my dreams. And yet another day started in the Pune city..

As I stepped out with my newly met friend, who came to take me to the university with his bike, we introduced ourselves and started moving. As we got on to the bike the nature started crying and weeping a lot. We knew it’s not gonna stop so we rushed towards the university, especially towards the international Centre. When we ended up there we met our best friend known as the “Problem”.And there goes the first problem, It was raised as such that I didn't give a printed copy of my application form and I should get it printed to get verified with my other documents.So what to do, we went to take a printout in the Internet café which is situated inside the campus. Although we thought it would be easy, but there was a big queue and the manager of it made me us wait as he also asked for id to let us use a computer.

I was so puzzled to see this, these things are so new to me and I was wondering why these people act like this. I don’t complain about all of them but at points these sort of things irritates a lot. Being a foreigner from a country known to its friendly atmosphere, in a country which is also known its friendliness these things, I didn't even expect at all. As my thoughts were growing my friend called me and gave “Parle-G”, a biscuit which is known as the world’s highest selling biscuit and also a good, cheap one quenched my hunger for a bit. I was standing there for minutes as I saw a guy who was just browsing “Facebook” without doing any important work but there are people outside who all are waiting to do their work, But an idea stroked my head. I just went near to him, the one who was lost in Facebook, told my problem and told that I just need a printout only nothing much. He was so kind though to accept my request and he let me use the computer.

After thanking him took my printout and went back. Got my documents all verified and asked for my “challan” (Bank Draft) to pay my admission fee. They just told “you will get that by evening in your login ID”, even though I requested them to provide that to me now, they didn’t listen to it at all. Ya, I know there are regulations for them as well. So I couldn’t bother them more, I took my friend and rushed towards my department. Actually he was the one taking me everywhere. My mind was filled was thanking him loads and all the Srilankans who gave me faith to do all these procedures even with all these difficulties that I was facing.

The department again welcomed me, took all the documents and asked for copies of them. I gave the copies to them but they wanted it as attested copies. But I told them that I’m new to here, suddenly how to get attested from someone? And I asked them that can I get attested from a lecturer of our department? But the person who was doing these admission procedures told “NO, you must get attested from a professor of any other department so it would be good for you”. “When everything is going wrong how this would go right” I asked. He told “You go and ask from any department, with all your copies and original documents and they will do it”, he said. So helpless I was, sadly came out and took my friend we visited several departments and ended up with failures as I expected, “How could they attest my documents without knowing me?”, I just asked myself all the way. Then only my friend told let’s meet “Podi Hamaduruvo”, (A Srilankan Monk now who is my dearest friend and my hostel mate who guided me in all other works of mine). So we went and met him, he greeted us and told us to take lunch with him, at last someone really helped us to get rid of our hunger, and we both really were starving a lot at that moment.

Ate there and asked him about the hostel to get admitted there. He told you give an application with a “bonafide” letter from your department and it would be done. After that I explained the attesting problem, so he told he’ll help and took us to a Buddhist temple which is situated inside the campus. There we met another generous man who told us to go political science department and get the work done. As we went there got signed from a professor, I went to get the official seal from the office of that department but they didn’t even listen to me, started shouting at me and told “Get Out” very harshly. There goes my vision towards Punekar which again got spoilt. But I didn’t lose hope I explained to him that I’m a Srilankan and my problem, after keeping me there for 25 minutes he gave the official seal/stamp. I thanked him and thought after all he is not bad that at last he understood me.
After saying bye to our new friend we went towards my department gave all the attested copies and requested him for a bonafide letter, he told he’ll get it done by tomorrow, so we went back home peacefully.

The next day again started with rough rides, as I ended up in the bank and got to know the banking hour begins from 10am. “Seriously?? “ I asked myself because I’m there by 9am. What to do, I waited for an hour, paid my admission fee and handed over the payment slip to the International Centre and asked for my admission letter. They told “you upload these copies to your account and you will receive your admission letter”, but I explained that I don’t have any sort of internet facilities. They asked “Don’t you have phone?”, but I told “I don’t have a sim”. He told ok go to a net café and he just went. I was like “what the **” but what would they do, they made these automated systems to help us only.

But I didn’t want to end up in the same old café I suffered, so I went to meet my Srilankan friend who is in the hostel. And he helped me to upload my copies. I uploaded them had my lunch with him and went to my department. Collected all my documents from the office as I tried to get out, I met three freaks of my class (No offense girls), Who also became my friends later on. After introducing myself to them I left that place and went back home.

Then I applied for a new sim card under my friend’s name because I didn’t have a proper place to stay yet, as they request resident proof and all to provide a sim card. We paid the money and asked when it will get activated, the retailer told that it would take two days to get activated because I’m a foreigner. Even though it didn’t get activated after two days at the end, he made me to submit all my documents again and after a week I got my sim card activated. What to do? When the problems just come and hug me even though I broke up with them, “Ha Ha” they love me a lot won’t they? All have enormous rules for them and everywhere is like I have to submit at least 5 documents, forms and a photograph to get my work done.

As the next day when I attended my first official class, I met few of my classmates and greeted them. I was so silent and just told “hi” and didn’t even speak much. My face was filled with confusion, I really felt like an alien and I felt so alone. Many things in my mind admission letter, hostel, police verification and Residential permit just everything. I couldn’t even speak properly, saw all faces that was in my class and they were looking at me with so many questions. I felt little embarrassed as I was noted by all. But it’s natural because I’m the only one from another country.

The best thing is the same class who made me to think that I’m an alien now made me to realize that I’m in a much safer place. As well as they became my very good friends as well.

Even though I’m a naughty, notorious person I kept calm for few days. After four days I got my hostel and the settling progress is still going on as some of the work is still pending. Punekar now became my friends actually the thought I previously had about these people changed because of my classmates, because of their friendliness which made me so comfortable being with them and them being around me.

There are years more to come but now this my place, this is my family and this is my life. Being “cool” is the only way I knew. As now I’m almost settled, cared by my classmates and by my lovable Srilankans as well. New people may call me that I’m silent, filled with attitude and bla bla but the people who knows me will miss me when I’m not there for sure ;)

To be continued…


1 comment:

  1. So much hassles you went through, Kohu!
    Wish you all the luck for this new journey of yours :)

    ReplyDelete